Roaches startled by the kitchen light being suddenly switched on were out-scurried this weekend by University of North Carolina Law School's Eric Muller and WZTK-FM talk show host Brad Krantz. Recently exposed conspiring in a squalid act of political repression aimed at VDARE.COM, this Carolina Cabal now desperately wants to escape paying the public opinion price.
Muller has lengthened his original post on his Is That Legal? Blog and also published the tirade that Krantz has been sending out to the many VDARE.COM readers who upbraided him. (Thanks, everyone!) This latter unfortunately supports the common allegation that success as a talk radio host has more to do with emotive bloviation than intellectual precision.
Let us review the facts.
1) I was invited on Krantz's show to discuss immigration. The format was to be a standard one: interview followed by call-ins.
Here is the confirming e-mail sent to me by our publicist:
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 11:26 PM
To: PETER BRIMELOW
Subject: INTERVIEW INFO FOR PETER BRIMELOW MONDAY 6/19/06 8:10 AM EST BRAD AND BRITT IN THE MORNING SHOW
VDARE.COM INTERVIEW INFORMATION SHEET
STATION - WZTK 101.1 FM 1109 TOWER DR. BURLINGTON NORTH CAROLINA 27215 www.fmtalk1011.com
TIME - 8:10 AM EASTERN STANDARD TIME MONDAY 6/19/2006
DURATION - 8:30 OR EXTENDED TO 9:00 AM IF GUEST WANTS TO TAKE CALLERS
SHOW - BRAD AND BRITT IN THE MORNING
HOSTS - BRAD KRANTZ AND BRITT WHITMIRE
GUEST - PETER BRIMELOW
TOPIC - 6/15/06 WALL STREET JOURNAL/NBC POLL ON IMMIGRATION AND GENERAL IMMIGRATION ISSUES […]
2) Towards the end of the first segment, without any discussion of going to questions, Krantz abruptly terminated the interview. I was puzzled and reported the incident to our publicist.
3) Krantz subsequently told our publicist that, while I was on air, he had received a call from a "friend" who was a law professor at the University of North Carolina. This "friend" had informed him that him that VDARE.COM was a "hate" site.
4) Krantz never responded to further emails and phone calls about the incident. Nor, of course, did he give us the opportunity to defend ourselves that we requested.
5) After being exposed, Professor Muller, in an emotional and amazingly jejune post on his website (no wonder this guy was flunked from actually practicing law!), has actually admitted sending what was quite clearly a follow-up email documenting the evils of VDARE.com. Tellingly, it was familiarly signed "Eric". Obviously, this was part of an ongoing correspondence. My guess is that Professor Muller is a regular self-appointed gatekeeper at WZTK-FM and probably for all the Establishment Media of his unfortunate adopted state.
6) Professor Muller conspicuously avoids the issue of the phone call, and Brad Krantz obviously does not want to discuss it any more either. But the reality is that Krantz deviated from the usual pattern of these interviews. He told us he was called by a friend at UNC Law School. The inevitable inference is that Professor Muller made the call. They might of course deny this. I presume phone records would settle the question.
7) One consequence of the Krantz/Muller interchange was that VDARE.com was excluded from the on-air debate on WZTK-FM through the balance of the year, during which immigration was a red-hot issue in North Carolina.
As Patrick Cleburne observed yesterday, dealing with political dissidents by repression has no part in the American/Anglo-Saxon tradition. Professor Muller (as evidenced, perhaps, by his web site name of "Is That Legal?") and Brad Krantz evidently do not belong to this tradition. This is the Republic's loss.
Suggest to Muller that he debate me in public, if he dares.
Debate—isn't that what universities are supposed to encourage?
Remind him of the late, great Richard Herrnstein's dictum: the purpose of academic tenure is that you have to tell the truth.
I believe that this squalid little Carolina Cabal is a microcosm. By luck, we have an insight into the unseen forces that control the way the American media operates today—and that work tirelessly to frustrate patriotic immigration reform.
Of course, it is the fact that our friends in the patriotic immigration reform movement do not control radio stations (or get carpet-baggered into professorships at important law schools) that obliges VDARE.com to keep issuing financial appeals.
But, because of the internet, we can by-pass the Carolina Cabal—and all of these cabals with which America is currently cursed—with the truth.
Peter Brimelow is editor of VDARE.COM and author of the much-denounced Alien Nation: Common Sense About America's Immigration Disaster (Random House - 1995) and The Worm in the Apple (HarperCollins - 2003)