Attention young immigration patriots—the Department of Homeland Security is hiring across the board; Customs and Border Protection, HSI, ERO, Border Patrol, and USCIS. This is your opportunity to infiltrate immigration law enforcement and be well paid for it.
- S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is hiring Customs and Border Protection Officers (CBPO). CBPOs work at Ports-of-Entry (POE) and determine the admissibility of aliens. Most positions are at either international airports across the country or land border POEs. The work can be grueling at the land POEs. You will get some action there, but little at airports, but if you are motivated to do immigration enforcement, you can have fun. I did that for a number of years under the late INS. Down side is that if you have a criminal history or activity, they do polygraphs. Keep your patriotic action legal or low key.
- The U.S. Border Patrol (USBP), the Green Meanies, arrests illegal aliens at the border and in the interior. You will get the most physical action here, including gunfights and physical altercations with bad guys. Most work is outside and on the southern border. There are lots of specialized units from special weapons to dirt bikes. Also requires a polygraph test.
- S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Enforcement and Removal Operations (ICE ERO). This position is dedicated to identifying and deporting illegal aliens already in the United States. The most action after the USBP, but no uniform or polygraph. Hiring throughout the United States. Besides the USBP, ERO is hiring the most and is the easiest to get into.
- ICE SVU, or legally known as Homeland Security Investigations (HSI). They are better paid than all the others, journeyman performance is GS-13, generally starting at GS-7, with grade increases from 7 to 13 annually, while the others top out at GS-12. All of course including Federal locality pay, higher pay in certain areas.
- S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Immigration Services Officer (ISO) and Immigration Officer (IO) in the Fraud Detection and National Security Directorate (FDNS). These are the employees who adjudicate applications for legal permanent residency (green cards) and citizenship. The ISOs have a dull job, but for those who want to hold aliens to the rules, but don’t want to fight people, this is your job. If you want to do fraud investigations, the IO position in FDNS is for you. But you don’t get to make arrests, yet…
All these areas need patriotic Americans. Aside from the polygraph, hiring is easy as all agencies are desperate. Get your Bachelor’s degree or military experience, and you are a shoe-in.
Your nation calls, and the pay and benefits are fantastic!