“Reporting Hateful and/or Hurtful Speech.”A lot of the push toward silencing argument by screeching at people attempting to appeal to reason is a consequence of the feminization of campuses.
The email lists a process for students “who witness incidents of hateful and/or hurtful speech.” They are:
• Call the police immediately at 573-882-7201. (If you are in an emergency situation, dial 911.)
• Give the communications operator a summary of the incident, including location.
• Provide a detailed description of the individual(s) involved.
• Provide a license plate and vehicle descriptions (if appropriate).
• If possible and if it can be done safely, take a photo of the individual(s) with your cell phone.
The email states that, “Delays, including posting information to social media, can often reduce the chances of identifying the responsible parties. While cases of hateful and hurtful speech are not crimes, if the individual(s) identified are students, MU’s Office of Student Conduct can take disciplinary action.”
Argument as sport is, like most sports, a mostly male hobby. As campuses become increasingly female-dominated, the culture naturally changes toward one where sports are first, marginalized as safe spaces for males, and then, eventually, sports will be drafted into the Dictatorship of Feelings along with everything else.
In 2012 a young theologian named Alastair Roberts explored with quiet but penetrating insight the differences between the old, male mode of argument as sport versus the increasingly dominant female mode.