The video report below includes the fact that the accused was an illegal alien “on probation” in Texas who had been “deported to Mexico several times” and whose rap sheet includes aggravated assault — as well as an interview with the victim’s heartbroken brother.
There is plenty of diverse violence in San Francisco, particularly in the Hispanic Mission district, but it rarely happens in popular tourist spots. Tourism-connected businesses are probably urging the mayor to Do Something to make San Francisco seem safe. Visitors to the city spent $10.67 billion in 2014 and tourism is a top industry. Tourists don’t like to see a daylight random murder in a spot they have visited.
San Francisco has been energetically friendly to illegal aliens for years. In 2008, Mayor Gavin Newsom spent $83,000 to promote city benefits for illegal aliens. Criminal aliens who could pass for juveniles were coddled with expensive programs, like placement in a cushy San Bernardino group home.
Making criminal aliens feel comfortable in San Francisco has led to terrible crimes, in particular the triple murder of Tony Bologna and his two sons in 2008, who were mistaken for fellow gangsters by Edwin Ramos, a previously arrested but not deported criminal alien.
But even horrors like the Bologna killing have not slapped San Francisco into sensible policies to protect public safety. Reports in recent hours reveal that Francisco Sanchez (pictured) had been deported to Mexico five times, and “should have been deported.”
But it’s not like the feds are any better at protecting the public than the city — Obama stands strong with San Francisco against law and borders. DHS released 30,000 criminal aliens to American streets in 2014 and 36,000 the year before that.
We can expect pointed fingers between the feds and San Francisco about who is responsible for this completely preventable crime. Not that anything will change. Obama amnesties everyone.
Accused San Francisco Pier Shooter Should Have Been Deported: Immigration Officials, NBC Bay Area, July 3, 2015
The 45-year-old man accused of gunning down a 32-year-old Pleasanton woman while she was out strolling San Francisco’s pier with her father was in a Bay Area jail four months ago and should have been turned over to federal immigration officials upon his release, instead of being sent free, according to the Department of Homeland Security.
Virginia Kice, spokeswoman for the Department’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement, told NBC Bay Area on Friday that Francisco Sanchez, who is either 45 or 46 years old, had a “detainer” on his status in jail.
He was an “enforcement priority,” Kice said, and should have been sent to ICE. Federal records show that Sanchez had been previously departed five times to Mexico, most recently in 2009, and has a criminal history involving seven felony convictions. Four of those seven were drug charges, records show. Records indicate his convictions took place in such places as Texas, Oregon and Arizona.
Instead, Kice added, her department was “never notified,” and Sanchez was released from San Francisco County Jail. Sanchez, who a source said has about a dozen aliases and a handful of different birth dates, was released after spending time serving an outstanding drug warrant. When he was released from San Francisco jail was not disclosed, ICE does not have a record of that.
San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr told NBC Bay Area that Sanchez was in jail for marijuana sales, which prosecutors later declined to charge him for. Sanchez was released, he said, but the jail, which is run by the sheriff, never notified police, which is standard protocol.
San Francisco Police Officer Grace Gatpandan added that San Francisco is a “sanctuary city, so we do not hand over people to ICE.” She also said that the police are “not responsible” for Sanchez once he is booked into county jail, “meaning we do not have control over his release.”
On Wednesday, Sanchez was arrested on suspicion of killing Kathryn Steinle, who was shot in the torso, about 6:30 p.m. near the Embarcadero and Mission Street in the city’s South Beach neighborhood.
Several witnesses saw the brazen evening shooting along a popular tourist destination and not only helped Steinle and her dad perform CPR, but they told police what the suspect looked like. Police took him into custody shortly afterward and identified him to the public on Thursday. Police said he was out on probation from Texas, but they didn’t specify from where or for what.
Police have described the shooting as random.
Gatpandan reiterated to NBC Bay Area that the shooting was not robbery-related, and “nothing was taken.” She added that it appears as though no “words were exchanged” between Steinle and Sanchez.
Kice said that Sanchez came to her department’s attention in spring and her agency was poised to deport him back to Mexico for the sixth time. Instead, ICE officials saw that Sanchez had an outstanding drug warrant from San Francisco, so her agents turned him over to police there on March 26. She said her agents also lodged an “immigration detainer” on him, asking that her department be notified before his release so that ICE could take him back into federal custody.
“He should have been deported,” she said.