From the New York Times
on Friday will promote a longtime economic adviser, , to chairman of his , signaling continuity even as a high unemployment rate has left much of the public dissatisfied with administration policies. ... Mr. Obamaâ€™s decision to elevate Mr. Goolsbee, a left-of-center economist, to succeed , who returned this month to the , is part of a broader flux within the White House economic team, as architects of the governmentâ€™s response to the worst in 80 years begin moving up and out and their roles shift.
Goolsbee was Barack Obama`s chief economic adviser in 2007, the first year of his Presidential run. Here are excerpts from Goolsbee`s March 29, 2007 column in the New York Times,
where he demonstrated his economic prescience by defending subprime mortgages because they increase homeownership among minorities:
â€?Irresponsibleâ€™ Mortgages Have Opened Doors to Many of the Excluded
By AUSTAN GOOLSBEE
... Almost every new form of mortgage lending â€” from adjustable-rate mortgages to home equity lines of credit to no-money-down mortgages â€” has tended to expand the pool of people who qualify but has also been greeted by a large number of people saying that it harms consumers and will fool people into thinking they can afford homes that they cannot.Congress is contemplating a serious tightening of regulations to make the new forms of lending more difficult. New research from some of the leading housing economists in the country, however, examines the long history of mortgage market innovations and suggests that regulators should be mindful of the potential downside in tightening too much. ...
Lost in the current discussion about borrowersâ€™ income levels in the subprime market is the fact that someone with a low income now but who stands to earn much more in the future would, in a perfect market, be able to borrow from a bank to buy a house. That is how economists view the efficiency of a capital market: peopleâ€™s decisions unrestricted by the amount of money they have right now.And this study shows that measured this way, the mortgage market has become more perfect, not more irresponsible. People tend to make good decisions about their own economic prospects. ... Of course, basing loans on future earnings expectations is riskier than lending money to prime borrowers at 30-year fixed interest rates. That is why interest rates are higher for subprime borrowers and for big mortgages that require little money down. Sometimes the risks flop. Sometimes people even have to sell their properties because they cannot make the numbers work. The traditional causes of foreclosure, even before there was subprime lending, were job loss, divorce and major medical expenses. And the national foreclosure data seem to suggest that these issues remain paramount. ... Also, the historical evidence suggests that cracking down on new mortgages may hit exactly the wrong people. As Professor Rosen explains, â€?The main thing that innovations in the mortgage market have done over the past 30 years is to let in the excluded: the young, the discriminated against, the people without a lot of money in the bank to use for a down payment.â€? It has allowed them access to mortgages whereas lenders would have once just turned them away. The Center for Responsible Lending estimated that in 2005, a majority of home loans to African-Americans and 40 percent of home loans to Hispanics were subprime loans. The existence and spread of subprime lending helps explain the drastic growth of homeownership for these same groups. Since 1995, for example, the number of African-American households has risen by about 20 percent, but the number of African-American homeowners has risen almost twice that rate, by about 35 percent. For Hispanics, the number of households is up about 45 percent and the number of homeowning households is up by almost 70 percent. And do not forget that the vast majority of even subprime borrowers have been making their payments. Indeed, fewer than 15 percent of borrowers in this most risky group have even been delinquent on a payment, much less defaulted. When contemplating ways to prevent excessive mortgages for the 13 percent of subprime borrowers whose loans go sour, regulators must be careful that they do not wreck the ability of the other 87 percent to obtain mortgages. For be it ever so humble, there really is no place like home, even if it does come with a balloon payment mortgage.
Tyler Cowen posted the paragraphs about minorities benefiting from subprime loans on Marginal Revolution under the approving title "Austan Goolsbee Is Not a Credit Snob
." I commented on March 29, 2007:
"There was a huge push by the government over the last 12-14 years to get banks to make more home loans to minorities. As Malcolm X would have said if he was an economist, today, the chickens are coming home to roost."
Do you think anybody will dare bring up Goolsbee`s column to his face?