In preparation for Cinco de Mayo, the Ocoee Police Department is reminding its residents to celebrate safely and responsibly:
No guns on Cinco de Mayo
- Don’t discharge firearms into the air. Shooting a gun into the air is a crime. You will spend up to one year in prison if you are caught.
- Weapons are subject to being forfeited to the police.
- If you’re arrested for discharging a firearm into the air, you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
- If a stray bullet from your gun should kill someone, you will be arrested and charged with murder.
- People involved in celebrating the holidays by discharging their firearms do not realize the danger posed by their actions.
- A bullet fired into the air can climb up to two miles. When it falls back to earth, it can reach a speed of 300 to 700 feet per second.
- If you see someone discharging a firearm into the air, call the police.
posted by Walter Pacheco on May 2, 2007 9:08:56 AM