I could imagine the ruler of China looking at the current travails of the ruler of Russia and deciding maybe he won’t invade Taiwan quite yet.
- After all, going on the offensive is hard.
- Defenders these days have a lot of lightweight smart rockets with which two infantrymen can take out a really expensive piece of equipment.
- You can’t trust your military men when they tell you the troops are ready and rarin’ to go.
- The West has a lot of financial weapons.
- Maybe we won’t be welcomed by the Taiwanese.
- Maybe life is pretty good right now without the hassle of a war.
Or, I could imagine Xi concluding:
- Ha-ha, those incompetent Russians!
- What a buffoon Putin is!
- I’d never blunder like he did.
- My eloquent speech about the history of Taiwan will convince everybody, unlike Putin’s crackpot speech about the history of Ukraine.
You just never know with these guys.
[Comment at Unz.com]