So, Tim Stanley in the Daily Telegraph. Yes, that's a London newspaper — it used to be a reliably conservative one, back in the dear days thirty years ago when I was reviewing books for them. Brits have their own problem with blacks. Ten percent of the British prison population is black, while only 2.8 percent of the general population is. That means the average black Brit is 3½ times more criminal than the average nonblack; and that's probably an underestimate, as Britain's police are even more race-whipped than ours, deeply reluctant to arrest blacks, or even confront them in any way, for fear of the career consequences. It's actually surprising there are any blacks in British jails at all.You might think this would make British commentators cautious about throwing stones across the Atlantic from their own glass house. You might especially think that when you reflect that the U.S.A. was born with a big black population, and has always had to struggle with the issue as best we can, while the Brits stupidly — and against the advice of elder statesmen like Sir Winston Churchill — created themselves a race problem from scratch seventy years ago, working from arrogance, greed, imperial sentimentality and misplaced idealism.No, these fools have no shame, no self-knowledge. Here's Tim Stanley, honking away self-righteously in the Telegraph, July 8th. Headline: A democracy as racist as America will never be at peace. Sample honk:Last year, US police shot at least 102 unarmed black suspects dead — five times the rate of unarmed whites.End honk. Two minutes googling would have brought Mr Stanley — a highly-paid and prominent British Op-Ed commentator — what it brought me, a mere ink-stained wretch: the Daily Wire's July 7th summary of Heather Mac Donald's analysis of the actual data on police killings. Main bullet points:
Elsewhere in his piece Tim Stanley just lies. Sample:
- Cops killed nearly twice as many whites as blacks in 2015.
- More whites and Hispanics die from police homicides than blacks.
- Unarmed black men are more likely to die by the gun of a cop than an unarmed white man … but this does not tell the whole story. Mac Donald's data tells it. For example, blacks are more likely to try to grab an officer's gun. In one occasion last year, three officers were killed with their own guns.
- Black and Hispanic police officers are more likely to fire a gun at blacks than white officers.
- Blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops — 18½ times more likely.There are poor whites — far more of them are on food stamps than African-Americans.End lie. Here are the actual numbers on food stamps in 2013, according to the Department of Agriculture tables [Table B.10 here].The nationwide distribution of food stamps was 40.2 percent to non-Hispanic whites, 25.7 percent to non-Hispanic blacks, and 10.3 percent to Hispanics of all races. If you want to count all Hispanics as whites, the white recipients outnumber blacks by almost twice — white-black ratio 1.96. Whether that can fairly be called "far more," given that whites as so defined outnumber blacks by seven to one, is I guess a matter of opinion.If you remove the numbers for Hispanics and just count non-Hispanic whites with non-Hispanic blacks, the white-black ratio for food stamp recipients is 1.56. Whites are getting 56 percent more food stamps than blacks. Given that, on the same basis, whites are five times more numerous than blacks, I'm going to say that Stanley's "far more" is a bare-faced lie."The search for dignity …" I'm quoting Tim Stanley's appalling, ignorant, dishonest piece again, "… is exceptionally difficult when society constantly asserts that you don't have it," end quote.Not a word of acknowledgment there for the endless efforts in Amerian media and education to promote blacks as the very epitome of dignity and forbearance. Probably most Americans born since 1980 believe that God looks like Morgan Freeman, that Harriet Tubman was a major historical figure, that Martin Luther King was a perfect Christian gentleman, that Nelson Mandela was the distilled essence of human goodness and wisdom, and so on. That's what they've been hearing and seeing since kindergarten.That wasn't worth a word in passing, Mr Stanley, you sneering self-righteous nitwit?Sorry, I'm losing it here. Too much stupidity. As Professor Dyson would no doubt say: My resentment builds, and my slow hate gathers steam.