At Least 11 Dead in Massacre at Rio de Janeiro School
(Diana Renee, April 7th, 2011)
At least 11 people, mostly children, died Thursday and more that 15 were wounded when an armed man attacked a school in Realengo in the poor suburbs of Rio de Janeiro.Who was the murderer?
According to a preliminary police report, the attacker–a 24-year-old former student at the school–was among the dead after shooting himself in the head. He attacked Tasso da Silveira school, where some 400 students ages 9-14 were in classes. Police Col. Djalma Beltrami said the killer used two handguns and a lot of ammunition. The suspect left behind a letter, in which he anticipated committing suicide after the attack. Beltrami, however, gave no details of any possible motive.
Beltrami described the letter as ”the words of a person who no longer believes in anything, full of sentences that made no sense and references to Islamic fundamentalism.”
Beltrami said the attacker was friendly as he went into the school, chatting with administrators and teachers and asking for permission to address the children. When he reached the third floor of the building, the suspect entered one of the classrooms and started to shoot at students, killing nine girls and one boy.
The attacker apparently committed suicide upon being chased by a police officer who had been called in by a student who managed to escape the building.
Roselane de Oliveira, a sister of the attacker, told Rio de Janeiro radio station Band News that the young man ”was very strange.” ”He had no friends, and he spent all his time on the internet,” she said. In recent months, she said, he appeared to have got closer to Islam.Hmmm... But let's not be hasty....
Police stressed, however, that there was no concrete evidence that the attack had either a religious or a political motive.