Remember to enter Amazon via the VDARE.com link and we get a commission on any purchases you make—at no cost to you!
The Fulford File | Happy Riot-Free Labor Day!—No Thanks To The Economic Policy Institute
EPI’s home page does have some stories about immigration, but they are significantly abstract—here’s a sample, with my comments:
A standard wonkish point, totally disconnected from real-world mass legal (and illegal) immigration. “Numbers are of the essence”—Enoch Powell.
- July 19, 2013 Is Senate Immigration Bill Better Than the Status Quo?
EPI’s answer: a resounding, Politically Correct fudge. But it does say: “Shockingly, the bill does not increase staffing or funding for the enforcement of labor standards.”
Doesn’t shock me.
However, EPI also has stories that are really about immigration, but don’t acknowledge it:
- August 21, 2013 A Decade of Flat Wages: The Key Barrier to Shared Prosperity and a Rising Middle Class
- August 19, 2013 State Jobs Numbers Show Sluggish Growth
- August 6, 2013 There Has Been No Improvement in the Hires Rate in Two Years
All of that is caused by sluggish labor markets swamped by too many immigrants.
Here are a couple of other EPI items that ought to reference immigration.
- August 22, 2013 A Well-Educated Workforce Is Key to State Prosperity
EPI’s approach to prosperity:
States can increase the strength of their economies…by investing in education and increasing the number of well-educated workers.
- June 24, 2013 Brazilian Protests: Could They Happen Here?
Well, the answer to that is: it’s much more likely that the United States will suffer riots of the kind that rocked Brazil in June if it keeps importing the kind of people who do that kind of rioting.
Happy Riot-Free Labor Day to all our readers!
Previous Labor Day Columns
- September 3, 2012—No Jobs For Labor Day In ROMNEY'S America, Either?
- September 4, 2011—No Jobs For Labor Day In Obama's America
- September 5, 2010—A Labor Day Dissent—Dysentery and Immigration
- September 6, 2009—Message On Labor Day: Working America Needs An Immigration Moratorium.
- September 5, 2009—Labor Day Motto: Moratorium Now! More evidence from Canada
- August 31, 2008—Labor Day In Mississippi—Job Openings For Americans After Raids
- September 2, 2007—The Fulford File Labor Day Lament: Where Have You Gone, Samuel Gompers, Dennis Kearney, Cesar Chavez, A. Philip Randolph?
- September 1, 2007—Happy Labor Day-AFL-CIO fights to lower US wages!
- August 31, 2007—For Labor Day, Good News From The Lodi, CA. Vineyards— Plenty of Workers (and Machines) For This Year's Grape Harvest
- August 31, 2007—Happy Labor Day Teamsters–Here Come Mexican Truckers!
- September 4, 2006—Labor Day through the Looking Glass
- September 3, 2006—Labor Day In Cardinal Mahony's Alta California
- September 4, 2005—Labor Day vs. Day Labor
- September 2, 2005—View From Lodi, CA: Labor Day—As the Rich Get Richer….
- September 5, 2004—Thinking About Jobs On Labor Day
- September 3, 2004—UnConventional Opinions for Labor Day
- September 3, 2003 WSJ Edit Page's Labor Day Revisionism
- August 31, 2003—Unhappy Labor (Investor Taxpayer) Day?
- August 30, 2002—View from Lodi, CA: A Labor Day Lament
- September 2, 2001—Happy (Fairly Priced) Labor Day!